Urban Ekklesia

House Church. Urban Church. Organic Church. Multicultural Church. Simple Church. This is a space created for both humble and passionate reflection on the missional, emerging church in urban North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

A space for thinking out loud and inviting others to join the refining process. Justice, mission, politics, the city. Everything is connected. Theology is life.

Friday, March 25, 2005

Kids & Households of Faith

A little over a month ago my wife & I had the awesome experience of the birth of our daughter. As many of you know, such an event makes a man think, and I feel affirmed more than ever concerning how God has led us. I am so grateful that my daughter is going to grow up in house churches.

In order to make sense of a house church network, we really need to think differently. I’ve been reading research about the value of small groups, family, and relationships between adults and children when it comes to spiritual growth and outreach. For example, Dr. Holly Allen points out that many churches in the U.S. base their children’s ministry on modern education practices. While this is okay for learning facts in school, Dr. Allen’s research shows that small groups where children & adults worship together is likely more effective when it comes to a child’s spiritual development. Doesn’t it make sense that a child would best learn about faith and courage and God from being an active part of a community where they can learn from spiritual “uncles” and ‘aunts?” Besides, think about it: What do children remember more? A lecture or a story that inspires them? Of course, the best place to begin the process of rethinking anything is the Bible — God’s message of love to humanity.

In the Old Testament many of the national celebrations were feasts, and one of the most important times of worship was at a meal. That is, the Passover. Both young and old joined together. Similar to modern-day Thanksgiving in North America, it was a time of remembrance, but it was also so much more. It was a worship service around a table in a home.

In the New Testament, Jesus shared similar experiences with his earliest followers, and after His resurrection, the church continued to meet together — both young and old — in homes as extended spiritual families. It would have been possible to gather around a table for Communion because they met in homes. Biblical scholars have consensus that the church continued meeting in homes for the first three centuries until the Roman emperor began having an influence on the church in the 4th century. I’m not saying that buildings are bad for churches; however, I do think that Jesus’ followers today have a lot to gain from this emphasis on home, relationship, and family.

So many of the little moments over the last couple of years have truly impacted me. I remember a Friday night meeting. A father had brought his two year old daughter to a meeting in my home and at one point during the evening, she laughed and rushed into his arms and exclaimed, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!” I walked away from that meeting touched by what this child taught me about my relationship to God. Recently, another father told me about a time when he was sitting in his living room feeling --and probably appearing -- angry. One of the women in his house church had taught the kids the night before in their home, and his four year old son came up to his father, looked into his face, and said, “Daddy, do you know Jesus? And what about Moses, Daddy?” Needless to say, the mood began to change. I loved recently seeing two adults in another house church both dancing back & forth during worship to the sound of the song “Clap Your Hands” with a one & a half year old and two year old smiling and swaying with them. I enjoy seeing an eleven year old pick out our next song and sing with the group.

I’m excited to raise my daughter in these households of faith. They're not perfect, and I know that there are no guarantees. Someday she will choose who or what she will serve, but I know that we’re giving my little girl the best opportunity to explore who God wants her to be.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,
I loved reading this. Since you were the first grandchild in my parents' family we made many trips to visit them before we moved away to Texas. During those early impressionable years you had many opportunities to be part of the family farewell prayer circle. When you were a baby and pre-schooler we were also part of a young church that began in a store front and you spent time playing on the floor inside of a circle of a small group house Bible study. Those special subconscious memories might contribute something to your house church comfort zone.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,
I loved reading this. Since you were the first grandchild in my parents' family we made many trips to visit them before we moved away to Texas. During those early impressionable years you had many opportunities to be part of the family farewell prayer circle. When you were a baby and pre-schooler we were also part of a young church that began in a store front and you spent time playing on the floor inside of a circle of a small group house Bible study. Those special subconscious memories might contribute something to your house church comfort zone.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,
I am sorry my comment showed up twice..The page was loading slow so I clicked Refresh and then it published a second time. I didn't expect that to happen...I don't like to appear to be redundant..I hope you can edit out the second one.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, resonate with the house church stories you tell, Jared. I was sitting in a house church meeting on a Wed night at a single, grandmother's home and she suddenly jumped up and practically dove to break the fall of my two-year old daughter who was falling from a staircase about three feet from the ground. My daughter still hit her head, but not nearly with the force she would have if Shirley hadn't broken the fall. We all sat together a bit anxiously as my daughter cried it off for a few minutes. But the care and concern our whole group had and the ability to stop what we were doing and focus on the need (rather than rush her to the nursery in the back of the church as she wails) was an obvious blessing.

I also remember camping annually with our church as I grew up in southern CA. We'd go to Pismo Beach and end up doing things (not by design) in small groups and as families throughout the weekend. Those memories--sitting round a sand bowl taking communion or around the fire sharing songs and marshmallows--are a blessing that continues all the way to this day for me.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home