Urban Ekklesia

House Church. Urban Church. Organic Church. Multicultural Church. Simple Church. This is a space created for both humble and passionate reflection on the missional, emerging church in urban North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

A space for thinking out loud and inviting others to join the refining process. Justice, mission, politics, the city. Everything is connected. Theology is life.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Painful Reminders

We arrived home today from a two-stop (ministry-related) trip to Pennsylvania. As we came back into our building, we were hit with a horrible odor. A man (we will call him 'Pete') in the neighborhood well-known for being horribly mentally ill had spent the night between the inner & outer doors to our building lobby. As people passed through the outer door, they would make a feverish rush to pull out their keys to open the inner door, shirt collars raised up over their nose, holding their breath, complaining, and on into the building. The stench of urine, body odor, and miscellaneous other smells that could barely be called human mingled and remained as a reminder of our overnight guest. At first I was repulsed as well. I must be honest. I continue to be quite repulsed, but I am also thankful.

Thank you, Pete, for humbling me. You walk the streets of our neighborhood everyday to remind me of the fragility of human life. I am one car accident, one stray bullet, one accidental fall from being in similar circumstances. Should I pity you, or should I pity me?

Thank you, Pete, for reminding me. Your broken mind and wretched life reminds me of the brokenness of rebellious humanity. It calls me to see the sin in our life. The sin when I pass you by ignorant of what I could possibly do for you and ashamed of my desire to do nothing. The sin that we harbor within us that looks so much uglier than your stringy hair or repugnant smell.

Thank you, Pete, for calling me to see the lostness, desperation, and injustice that exists in this fallen creation. Thanks for helping my heart stay broken for human beings in need of redemption.

Thank you, Pete, for helping me see.

Many Westerners don't have a 'Pete.' They're missing out. The smell, the guilt, the repulsion. They are truly experiences of horrific redemption. In the moment that our conscience rises in the midst of horror at another human, this man becomes a momentary savior. He reminds us of our own disease of sin, calls us to compassion, reaches into our heart & holds up the mirror.

Many people don't have this tug on their sleeve, this tap on their shoulder, telling them that there is more to life and the purpose of our existence than selfish gain and comfort. Many don't have this conscience with a name not their own calling them to be the people of compassion. At times I must feel sorry for some who remain living in safety.

God, save "Pete." Redeem his life from the pit. And thank you..... Oh.... just thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

Please stop putting advertizements on my blog. Thank you. I welcome thoughtful critique, debate, and/or affirmation. Not ads, and especially not microwave-version PhD's.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home