Urban Ekklesia

House Church. Urban Church. Organic Church. Multicultural Church. Simple Church. This is a space created for both humble and passionate reflection on the missional, emerging church in urban North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

A space for thinking out loud and inviting others to join the refining process. Justice, mission, politics, the city. Everything is connected. Theology is life.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Measuring Church "Success?"

I'm not satisfied! Let me explain. I've read church growth books, taken graduate classes in the same subject, attended seminars, and have reviewed probably hundreds of statistics on growth and decline within the church both in the U.S. and worldwide. One of the common threads that runs throughout the literature and the lectures seems to be asking the question: How do we measure the "success" or "failure" of our efforts as church planters and missional church leaders? In light of the concept of stewardship, it's not at all a bad question. We should ask if what we are doing is making a difference. However, how we typically measure "success" leaves me feeling completely unsatisfied.

The main way we've measured success is by counting the number of people involved in local church, organizations, or denominations. I'm not scared of counting numbers of people. I have no negative life experiences that makes me afraid of adding up numbers of souls. Besides, I do indeed want more and more people to know Jesus. And do I want to see Bronx Fellowship increase in the number of participants? Yea, I do. But as a measurement, counting heads increasingly misses the mark. For example, numbers may just represent people that are shifting from a few dying churches to one new, more hip church rather than genuine Kingdom growth. In addition, someone showing up "at church" doesn't necessarily mean they are living a cross-shaped life. It just means that they are there and perhaps have fulfilled some basic doctrinal or organizational requirements.

Recently, there has been greater emphasis among mega churches, cell-based churches, and seeker-sensitive churches to request greater levels of commitment and institutional loyalty. Members must round 2nd & 3rd base (metaphors for training classes) or perhaps procede through _____ church classes 101, 102, & 103. Leaders should be able to quote the mission statement, be punctual to meetings, answer e-mails, and jump through all the hoops that say "I'm a committed member of this church." Now, I suppose this might be getting closer to a solid system of measurement because it's focusing more on specific behaviors than on simply showing up. However, it still seems to leave me unsettled in my spirit.

While I would certainly hope that our participants in Bronx Fellowship are committed to their faith community and to the network as well as grow more responsible as individuals, I'm not sure that generating greater institutional loyalty is an adequate measure of our church planting efforts either. It still seems to miss the mark. Being committed to a faith community may often be an expected result of faith in Christ, but I wonder if its a very good litmus test for measuring "success" overall. And while I am excited about others becoming committed to participation with our church network, that still isn't the ulitmate goal set before us.

If we desire to measure "success," there still must be something more. It seems that there are deeper, more fulfilling questions that may help us determine if what we are doing might have value. Such as: Are we beginning to resemble Jesus? Does our Christlikeness make a difference in the lives of one another and others with whom we have contact? Can we, as a group, be identified with the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5) or the Beattitudes (Mt. 5)? Does the world know that we are Christ's followers by how we love one another (John 13)? To me, the measurement question that we regularly need to ask ourselves is: Are we, as a community, becoming more and more like Jesus?

It's ironic and sad to say that it seems that this would be a significant shift away from (church) business as usual. It would require a different set of lenses. And if we are being true to the spirit of the question, it steers us away from self-righteousness influencing the evaluation process. I would think that it might begin with aligning our lives, values, and practices with those of Jesus and then to consistently live into this as a reality. I suppose it might often cause us to realign our priorities. (I'm constantly challenges by the absolute abandon with which Jesus makes decisions about how he orders his life. Taken in context, it's definitely counter-cultural for most high-acheiving Americans.) It seems that every other good thing would take a lessor role to that one central, penetrating question. Is our faith community looking more and more like Jesus?

To me, this is a worthy standard of measurement, but it will never stand complete. It's not supposed to; we are called into relationship. Relationship is ongoing, tranformational, dynamic, and liberating. Furthermore, a negative outcome to this question isn't solved by a better tweaking of the system or an improved marketing campaign as helpful as these might be in other less central areas of the church's life together. Instead, it calls for a good long look in the mirror. Transformation doesn't take place simply by outward change of behavior, but rather it takes hold through an inward working of faith, hope, and love.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared, I agree. Thanks for your comments about the institutional loyalty. That was a helpful critique of some of the Purpose Driven materials that I have seen.
A missionary once wrote that the goal of developing leaders is often a very superficial one. Why are we so focused on developing leaders, he would ask, when our goal is to make disciples?

Grace and peace.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Bob, it's not so much that developing leaders or providing strong orientations to the vision of one's church is altogether bad. However, what concerns me is that we seem to settle for living on the surface of Christianity. I want to experience lots of church growth, but we may experience growth without transformation. I long for more of Jesus more than bigger crowds. If we can have both, that's great, but if I have to choose, I know what i rather experience.

What I really want to express is that it is not a this strategy verses that strategy so much as a call to go deeper and see further beyond than models, structures, or strategies. I think these things are important and require decisions to be made, but we are called to so much more than technical fixes or tweaking. RAther, we often need a heart transplant.

7:51 PM  
Blogger soulster said...

The question is not "Are we successful?" Success is about acheiving a goal. It leads to us thinking of arriving at some fixed point. It forces us to evaluate ourselves by exclusively instrumental means.

The question should be, "Are we faithful?" This is about our authenticity and consistency in relationship. It is about a journey that does not end until the relationship ends. It emphasizes intrinsic value and value given as grace.

Notice, in Jesus' parable of the talents, the good servants were awarded for being faithful, not for being successful (as we usually read it.) The lazy servant was thrown out, not because he didn't make money. Had he invested the money and lost it, I think his master would have reacted mercifully. He was thrown out because he knew his master's nature of reaping where he did not sow and he was unfaithful to the relationship because he didn't live consistent with that. He hadn't failed in making money. He had failed in the relationship of servant and master, where the servant is an extension of the master's identity.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Ben,
Yes, I agree. It is ultimately about being faithful. The hypothetical of a "failed" investment in the parable of the talents is an interesting thought. Hhhmmm. I think that a lot of very sincere and rightly movtivated leaders have tried to measure church "success" out of a sense of stewardship. Yea, there is a lot of corruption too, but I don't think that is universally true. I think though, as I said, that we've chosen the wrong measuring stick. Still, I do wonder as I read your comment if -- though rightly motivated -- this course of action is simply wrong despite good intentions. Part of the measuring different is learning not to measure and simply dive deeper into the Gospel paradigm.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Jason Dawson said...

Nice blog, how do you do evangelism? I'm interested in learning Evangelism. I was listening to a sermon today and I'm always frustrated at the amount of evangelism that seems to happen without follow up. Then this preacher said one reason that follow up isn't done is because it's litterally not patterned in teh bible. That once someone is born again they seek God because God is seeking through them, but if the have not made Jesus Lord then there is no reason for follow up. I'm curious as to what you think about that....

jason

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jason Dawson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Jason,
I can't say too much about that. I can't even categorize it. My impression is that I probably think on an entirely different wavelength.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home