Urban Ekklesia

House Church. Urban Church. Organic Church. Multicultural Church. Simple Church. This is a space created for both humble and passionate reflection on the missional, emerging church in urban North America.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bronx, New York, United States

A space for thinking out loud and inviting others to join the refining process. Justice, mission, politics, the city. Everything is connected. Theology is life.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Confession of an Organic Church Planter

I must confess something. This organic, relational, simple church stuff really goes against my nature. I mean, I love people. I like the casual atmosphere and all. But here's the thing. I am a man that is known by my friends as being really driven. I am not afraid of working hard for Christ's mission. I have an agenda. I believe it's a good one, but nonetheless, I cannot seperate myself from my agenda to see communities formed, disciples made, workers raised up. I'm very intentional about it, and so I am often inclined to push hard in order to see these thinigs realized.

And so here I find myself. I hang with people in parks and we talk about spiritual things while sitting on a blanket under a tree. There's no plan. Some of the others are over playing ball but they're having good conversations about God and faith in Christ as well. I find myself learning to relax and let the Spirit do the work and simply be a vessel. At times, it's difficult. I still think that it is right and good to be intentional at forming community and becoming centered on the Gospel, but I'm learning to embody good news rather than work hard at making sure we do all the right religous acts. It's good praxis. I believe it reflects the attitude of Jesus.

But as a purpose-driven, results-minded, missional leader, this just rubs against my nature. What do they say?..... What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. I suppose so. I certainly hope that it will be said of me that I was obedient to Jesus (and that be a true statement of course) and that through that obedience I was transformed to look much more like HIM. I hope so.

But in the meantime I'm learning to work against my own flesh -- even when my flesh seems to be aligned with good motives and a pure agenda. I don't know if all this makes sense, but all you highly driven, seminary trained, church planter types out there will probably get me. At least I hope that I'm not alone.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. There's always so much to digest in your posts. Be assured that they are being read - I don't know by how many, but please keep writing!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jared. We grapple with a lot of the same issues up in the NW at PUMP.

12:30 PM  
Blogger soulster said...

I've been on a similar journey. See my related post here.

I keep think about what Jesus said about gaining the world and losing your soul. If our souls are our minds, emotions, and wills (as in Grk "psyche"), then we really do give our souls as payment for the "worlds" we desire. Eventually, we do so to the extent that our souls are lost -- our mind, emotions, and wills are no longer our own. We are slaves to our dysfunction and consequences. Even if what we spend them on is something as noble as "ministry".

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jared,

I'm glad to see a struggle going on, if there weren't, it probably wouldn't be ministry. I am not saying that we need to suffer, what I am trying to say is that there is a classic struggle between our "selves" and God, between our vision of ministry and God's vision of souls, between our notions of programmatic excellence that gnaw at us, and other matters that are just as essential.

I also groove with what Soulster shares regarding the soul investment at its cost.

My brother keep doing the great work you are doing in the Bronx, thanks for reminding me that even in the midst of our endeavors, when God gets our attention in the details, it is sometimes unsettling and paradoxical.

2:09 AM  
Blogger SWK 254 Understanding Diversity said...

wow,

bloodgood, stryper...you're taking me back.

good stuff. going against the grain of who we are to do church missionally is tough, but seemingly a good kind of tension.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man,
I totally get you...For 5 years I was an associate at a suburban church..hey send a mailing watch it grow. BUt now i am here as an Urban Church planter in a multi-ethnic setting and while I see fruit (people are meeting Jesus) i keep asking myself is this thing ever going to take off...

D

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home